We have a large backyard, but it's nothing fancy--just a large expanse of green grass (and not a few weeds that get mowed down to look like grass on a weekly basis). I associate the yard with our dogs, present and past, and I never go out there without thinking of the dogs we now miss.
I always think of Yellow, who constantly carried around the yellow, smiley-face soccer ball that my dad bought for him at Wal-Mart, and I always think of Smokey, who spent countless hours in Terry's garden, ripping up tomato plants and chasing rabbits and snakes. Bernie's yard-related obsession was sticks. When she first arrived, I spent time outside with her alone so that she could get lots of attention and not feel overwhelmed by the other dogs. (It is possible for a 200-lb. dog to feel insecure.) So, I threw sticks for her to chase, and, boy, did she take to that activity.
I don't dwell on sad thoughts, though. It's too happy a place to do that. Instead, I enjoy the current canine regime's yard antics, and there is much to enjoy. I miss Smokey every day in brief moments of penetrating sadness; my soul mate was a dog--what can I say? However, it would be a challenge, indeed, to remain sad around these clowns. To them, I owe much of the love in my house that overwhelms me on a daily basis. And, much of the poop. My dogs have always been my go-to confidants and co-conspirators.
Echo and I
Poopie and I
Smokey and I
Terry and Yellow
Bernie and her toy
Terry and Samantha
Teddy, Sammie, and Smokey
Jack Reacher and his Frisbee
Jack Reacher and his twig
Jeanie and my mom
Minnie and my mom
Love. Loyalty. Excess fur.
Happiness. :)













Indeed. They teach us far more than we teach them!
ReplyDeleteLove the pics. Hugs to you all! 8~)
I think people who have pets generally are happier than those who don't. Of course, most of the people I see on a regular basis are pet people!
ReplyDelete